Monday, June 15, 2009

Joan of Arc (Four Track version)

I used to have a four-track recorder. It used normal cassettes, using the stereo tracks of both sides as the four tracks. It was plenty sophisticated for what I was doing and/or wanted to do. When I bought it I tried to do complicated things: I'd add real drums and bass (borrowed from Jen and Barbara, respectively), mix stuff down.

By 1996 I was much more lazy and much more willing to just record some acoustic guitars and vocals and call it a day. That's the treatment I gave "Joan of Arc". It was a new one at the time, sort-of inspired by a trip to France and a leftover song idea about being a famous figure's boyfriend before she was famous.

I've always had a soft spot for this song, and indeed this treatment of it. I rerecorded it for In-jokes, though didn't quite get the same je ne sais qua I felt with this version...

No comments: